Wednesday 25 November 2015

Joey Brooks Determined To Prove The Naysayers Wrong

BEING the younger sister of dancehall star Mavado certainly comes with its fair share of pressure, but fledgling singjay Joey Brooks is equal to task. "If I don't take myself seriously as an artiste, people will not take me seriously.

There are some who may be saying: 'She is doing this as a hobby because her brother made it big in the music industry, she's trying a thing'," she told the Jamaica Observer. She is, however, determined to prove the naysayers wrong with her upcoming single See It Clear. Written by Michael 'Askell' Fairman and Melissa Stewart, the single will be released in December on the United Kingdom-based Live MB Music Production label and 21st Hapilos is slated to do the distribution.

According to Brooks, See It Clear tackles social injustice which is prevalent in society. "In the song, I deal with poor people needing a voice, Jamaican injustice system, and the corrupt politicians neglecting our needs," said the 29-year-old. An accompanying video will also be shot. The sing-jay, who holds a diploma in nursing, described her style as "software" and said her scope is wider than that of dancehall.

 "Well, my style of music is what I call software. I'm into reggae, pop and R&B music. I still have a love for dancehall music, but I do not consider myself a dancehall artiste," she said. Born in the Cassava Piece community of Kingston, she is youngest and only daughter of seven for the Brooks brood. "I had always love music, ever since I started singing on the church junior choir as a child from eight until 17 years old, so music was always around me.

Then I am always tagging along with my brother (Mavado) from age of 14 to different studios, so there I even got more inspired to be part of the music industry," she said. Brooks got her break in 2009 with Heart Beat and has subsequently released Whatever You Want and Serenity. She is booked for a New Year's Eve stage show in Grenada. "I hope to be a household name in the music one day like my brother. I'm very proud and motivated by him. I'm bringing positive, yet clean sexy music to people around the world," she added.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Auraiya 'Chronicles of Love' Album 🎵 Available Now on All Platforms" – 9 Tracks of Musical Therapy! A must-have for your playlist.

In a captivating blend of healing expertise and melodic mastery, Dr. Gayan Smith , also known as Auraiya , emerges as a dual for...